Monday, May 24, 2010

Teenager shows web design initiative

Blenheim teen Logan Anderson may be the youngest executive director in New Zealand.

The 15-year-old started his own web design business, Webtek, last September after being roped into creating a website for real estate company Ray White in Australia by his brother, despite having no experience.

"My brother pretty much called and asked if I knew how to do a website and I said `yeah, I'll give it a crack'.

"I sort of just did it for a free trip to Aussie."

The Marlborough Boys' College student said "there was quite a bit of pressure" for him to pull off the website given his inexperience, but it was something he thoroughly enjoyed.

Since completing the website in January last year, business has been booming.

"I struggled [with the workload] for a bit, but I'm sort of easing into it and only taking on a couple of jobs a week now."

Logan has created websites for businesses such as QuickCash Finance and event websites including the Marlborough Marathon, the Forrest Graperide and the Moa Beer Moa Hunt.

Despite what seems to be a destined career path in web design, Logan is still unsure about where his future will take him.

"I've never really thought about it. I know I'll go to university, but I'm not sure what I'll do afterwards. Probably something IT-based, but I'm not sure yet."

Logan plans to leave Blenheim eventually, but said he would like to return to "settle down".

He said leaving was something on the minds of many other Marlborough youth.

"Most people at school want to leave Blenheim, get a degree, do a job for a while and then maybe settle down here."

Something else on the minds of Marlborough youth, he said, was the drinking culture.

Logan said a recent crash in Picton, which claimed the lives of Alick Tapp and Michael Mealings, both 17, and injured four others, had a big impact on many Blenheim teens.

"That really worried a lot of people at school. A lot of my friends knew someone that knew someone in the crash and it really just hit home for them."

The vast majority of youth drinking, according to Logan, takes place under the supervision of parents, something, he says, is "a lot safer" than going to town on their own on a Friday night.

Logan believes media coverage of youth is extremely skewed toward negative aspects.

"We're not just bludgers, we're not drunk drivers and we're not all going out and getting completely smashed on a Friday night."

As for the future of his flourishing business, Logan is taking a wait-and-see approach.

"I'll keep going wherever it takes me, really. I'm really enjoying it. It's a lot better than working shifts at New World and the money is definitely better."

By SIMON WONG - The Marlborough Express
Last updated 12:00 25/05/2010

  Logan Anderson started his own web design company at the age of 15


1 comment: