Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What's the point in voting?

An unemployed labourer who moved to Blenheim two months ago in search of work says he will not be voting in this month's general election as he does not see the point.

David McDonald does not keep up with politics, does not know the names of the political parties and simply does not care.

"Some idiot will just get elected anyway," the 22-year-old said.

Mr McDonald receives $202 a week in unemployment benefits, $160 of which goes on rent and food. He saves the rest so he can visit his son in Dunedin at Christmas and buy presents.

Mr McDonald said finding work is nearly impossible given the high levels of unemployment.

"I went for a job in Dunedin when they were building the new stadium," he said. "Qualified plasterers and roofers were going for a labourer's job. It's overkill."

Mr McDonald joined the Salvation Army Employment Plus programme a month ago and is hoping a space becomes available on a fork-lift truck course soon.

The father of one, who has been wearing the same clothes for five years, has considered moving to Australia to find work.

"There are no guarantees of getting a job and I like New Zealand, it's my home country.

"In a dream world, I would like to buy a house here but this is the real world. There is no way in hell of that happening. I have no spare cash whatsoever."

The government could stop raising taxes on basic items, he said.

"Taxes on food and petrol have skyrocketed. Once in a blue moon I put $10 in the car to go and do something, but that is very rare."

The Labour Party's pledge to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour would not help his situation, Mr McDonald said.

"If employers have to fork out more money they will reduce the size of their company. Besides, if I work 30 hours a week at $13.50 I'm still earning more than being on benefits."

Incentives for employers to take on apprenticeships would not work either, he said.

"Employers will always take the best qualified or the person best suited for the job. You can't really give an incentive to an employer to hire someone he doesn't want to."

Mr McDonald is limited to the work that he can physically undertake.

"My hands are full of arthritis because of a previous job I had peeling posts. The constant vibration of the machine going through my hands means they lock up if I do anything too strenuous.

"Also, when I was younger I broke my neck when I was being stupid in a rally car and rolled it five times. The doctor said I was lucky to be walking. I should probably be on sickness benefits but I would rather be working."

- The Marlborough Express

Last updated 10:13 17/11/2011

David
No vote: David McDonald, 22, joined the Salvation Army Employment Plus programme a month ago. He has been repairing Employment Plus vans while waiting for a place on a fork-lift truck course. Mr McDonald doesn't see the point of voting in this year's election

No comments:

Post a Comment